Monday 9 November 2009

Short one this week, I'm feeling ill.

Arsenal played Wolves on the weekend, and, as at Fulham earlier in the season, barely even got into third gear. However, instead of fending off attacks and holding onto a 1-0 lead, the gunners instead won the game 4-1, Fabregas and Arshavin grabbing one apiece and the Wolves defence obligingly giving up two own goals. A late consolation robbed the defence of a clean sheet, but only Almunia seemed at all bothered.

Controversial, I know, but honestly, I think I might have been happier with another scrappy 1-0.

Arsenal are currently top of the form table, taking 16 points from a possible 18 in their last 6 games. Another resounding victory has, perhaps for the first time this season, led to journalists seriously pondering an Arsenal title challenge. "What's wrong with that you moron? And what's wrong with 4-1?" I hear you ask. You may be right, I'm probably being ridiculous, but as soon as people start asking: "Can Arsenal challenge for the title this year?", I start envisioning broken legs and centre backs sobbing in the centre circle. Of course Gallas is a couple of years older now, so if and when Arsenal do piss away whatever chance they have of winning the league he might not throw quite as big a tantrum.

In a way, I'd almost be happier if we were coasting along without all the pizazz of scoring 7 goals a game or whatever the average is now. I feel we'd stand a better chance of just sitting off Chelsea and Utd before kicking into 5th gear around Febuary and flying to the top of the table. I'm a moron, I heard you the first time, and I know I have to accept that Arsenal are playing the best football in the country (/Europe?) right now, and I should just be content. However, I think it's the right of every gooner out there to expect Arsenal to orchestrate an extraordinary cock up at any moment, god knows it's happened before, and it always seems much more likely to happen when the team is bearing the burden of expectation.

The team's a little older this team, and hopefully a little wiser. Maybe the inexperience of chucking away a potential eight point lead in 2008 will prove invaluble in the run in this time round. Maybe the away fixture at Birmingham in March will be the point when Arsenal stamp their authority on the title race instead of Martin Taylor stamping on Eduardo's ankle. Maybe Eduardo will score the winner.

Now the journalists have got me believing we can do it. Which is just what I feared.

1 comment:

  1. Just lie back and think of Arsenal--enjoy the moment. One game at a time...

    ReplyDelete